South Lincolnshire Blind Society (SLBS) is there to help anyone whose eyesight has become a cause for concern, whether they are registered as having a visual impairment or not. Their aim is to provide services to blind and partially sighted people so that they may lead fuller, more independent lives. If people need guidance with benefits claims related to their sight loss, they can provide some support. Any person resident in the administrative district council areas of North Kesteven, South Kesteven, Boston Borough and South Holland can make use of their services and anyone can contact SLBS for support.
Many of their services are provided free of charge however there will be a charge for some items and equipment from the Resource Centre. For those on a low income, there may be the opportunity of a grant to purchase some of the more expensive items. They want to ensure their members get the support they need and do not to come across barriers – whether it is information, environmental or poor customer service.
Many of these barriers are caused by lack of knowledge and not through malice, but with advice, training and our Transcription Service, SLBS provides support to companies so they overcome this problem and conform to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995. Other services they offer include:
- Agent of British Wireless for the Blind Fund
- Aids and equipment to purchase, rent or borrow
- Information and advice on all subjects relevant to visual problems
- Social clubs, including trips and outings; minibus transport
- Quarterly newsletter in braille, tape, print as required
- Home visiting in some areas
- Leaflets on eye conditions and other relevant literature
- Referral to Guide Dogs
- Contact with Lincolnshire Visual Impairment Services
- Four mobile resource officers making home visits to assess clients’ needs
- Large meeting room; technology room
- Visual impairment awareness training
SLBS also provides services to Professionals who wish to improve their support to visually impaired people in the community and comply with the Disability Discrimination Act 1995. The Society also runs an information desk at Grantham and District General Hospital.
Please click here for more information about Huntingdonshire Society for the Blind or contact them using the information below.
South Lincolnshire Blind Society (SLBS)
01476 592 775
By appointment only- call 01476 592775 for appointments.