Peterborough Association for the Blind (PAB) has been supporting local visually impaired people and their families for more than 100 years. Our committed team of volunteers, many of whom have first-hand experience of sight loss, are ready to help you in whatever way you need.
Losing your sight or knowing someone who is experiencing sight loss can be a difficult time. We are continually working to expand our services to ensure that the impact of sight loss is kept to a minimum. Our regular activities provide the chance to meet others with sight loss, make friends, and share problems and solutions.
Here you will find information on some of the activities and services provided by the PAB and some that are provided by other organisations that you may find useful, such as:
- Registering as blind or partially sighted
- Understanding the role of social services or other organisations that can help you
- Information on where to get day-to-day living support (housing issues, financial management, benefits and budgeting)
- Taking part in social events
- Access to information and advice on useful equipment
- Opportunities for learning
- Befriending service for isolated people
As well as helping you find the information that you need, we can also discuss alternative ways of doing daily routines and educate family and friends how to help you too, such as not moving objects in the home or returning them to the same position so you can find them again.
We can offer advice on:
- Taking care of your residence
- Moving and traveling about freely
- Personal grooming
- Identifying money and paying bills
- Keeping records
- Communication: E-mail, Handwriting, Braille and Recording Devices
- Utilising remaining vision
For issues outside our areas of expertise, we have developed a network of partners who are experts in their field and we work with them to get the best outcomes for blind and partially sighted people, their family and carers.
For more information about the services we provide, or to discuss issues that we may be able to help you with, please contact PAB on 01733 344 844